Why?, ¿por qué?, 为什么?, Pourquoi?




They are three types of learning styles; Visual, Auditory and Kinesthetic. These three learning styles are also forms of communication. The best type of communication I am able to understand and respond to are visual. By being able to see what I am learning, I am able to distinguish body language, boundaries, and other signs that show me how to best communicate with someone.  When it comes to visual communication necessary tools include imagery, symbols, and color. Growing up as a NYC girl visual communication is prominent, without visual communication how would I know which subway train to take? The MTA subway trains are differentiate by numbers, letters and colors. I grew up in the Bronx; the nearest subways by me were the B,D,4,5,1,and 2 lines.


The D, B, 4, 5, and 2 all run from the Bronx to Brooklyn while the 1 runs from the Bronx to Manhattan. Given that the D, B, 4, 5, and 2 go through the same boroughs without visual communication it would be hard to differentiate which train to take. These symbols also let me know which direction I’m going. Another great example of a companies or brands with strong visual communication are Paula Scher, Andy Warhol, and Disney. 

 Paula Scher uses graphic design and typography as visual communication in order to help brands become easy to identify with the visuals she has created for them. For instance, some of her famous graphics identify The Public Theater and Tiffany & Co.  

I’m a huge fan of Scher logos because they are easy to identify and respond. All of her works easily grab the attention of any on goer who is simply walking down the street or taking a subway ride home. I believe her graphic helps bring each brand she works with revenue and notability.

Andy Warhol revolutionized art with his visual creativity by creating pop art. Pop Art stood out on its own with its unique colors it called people’s attention. Warhol, with the use of his pop art demonstrated how prominent labels and brands can be. From Campbell’s Soup Cans, Brillo, and Marilyn Manroe visual communication became a force not to reckon with. After learning about his work, my love for visual communication grew tremendously.

I strongly doubt someone can proudly say they had a childhood without seeing a form of Disney's work.  Disney’s visual communication speaks to me the most because they bring their art to life with animation. Their art becomes interactive. The best thing about Disney’s visual is that no matter what age someone is they can always relate to their work. Therefore always letting their audience the feeling of remaining forever young.




As the cliché goes, “Communication is key”.  Visual communication speaks to me the most because an image or a symbol can speak louder than words. Visual communication gives those who can’t speak a voice. My love for visual communication will remain endless for visual communication speaks to me by sometimes not speaking at all.


“Art is what you can get away with.” – Andy Warhol

Comments